Smoke and Mirrors
- 100% cotton sitiba made in Senegal and stitched in Kenya
- Note: this fabric is hand-stitched and dyed, so the design on each dress will vary
- Functional pockets
- Button fastening through front
- Machine wash cold with like colors
- Fits true to size, take your normal size
- Airy fit, cut to be worn loose and stand away from the body
- Mid-weight, non-stretchy fabric
Not sure about your size? Check out our sizing guide!
Something not quite right? Returns or exchanges are on us, no questions asked, within 30 days for all orders within the US.
Plus, we're always available to help! Send us an email with any questions, comments, or thoughts that float by and we'll respond within 24 hours!
Meet our production partner, SOKO Kenya! Based in Kikambala on the Kenyan coast, they are an ethical manufacturer that truly embraces a fair, kind and transparent work culture. In addition to paying above living wages, SOKO provides employees with paid leave and stipends for family emergencies, free pre-primary childcare for all employees with children from ages 2-4, daily mid-morning tea and midday lunch, and clear, outlined processes for job advancement. These values extend to the workspace itself, which is open, airy and bright. It’s truly a privilege to work with the SOKO team, and we invite you to learn more about the stitching process here!
We’re so proud of this collaboration with Cheikhouna, a master dyer, and his family in Dakar, Senegal to create a collection of hand-dyed textiles using traditional stitch-resist and wax-stamped techniques! Learn more about how these fabrics are made here!
Cheikhouna uses a stitch-resist technique called sitiba, in which the design is hand-stitched into the fabric before dyeing. As you can guess, this is a very time-consuming practice, but the results are stunning! Sitiba is rarely produced anymore not only because of the amount of time it takes, but because of the complexity of the technique. Cheihkouna is one of the last dyers in Dakar who practices this centuries-old technique, and while he trains apprentices, he stitched every piece of fabric for our production himself.
You may be more familiar with wax resist, otherwise known as batik! The natural materials that Cheikhnouna uses to create his dyes make his batiks and sitiba fabrics extra special!
- JTJulie T.Verified BuyerI recommend this productHeight 5'5"Size Purchased XLUsual Size XLLength Purchased StandardRated 4 out of 5 stars1 month agoSubtle beauty
This Zuri has subtle beauty. It is light to wear and stunning to style. The shading is stunning.FitRated 0.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- SVShannon V.Verified BuyerI recommend this productHeight 5'4"Size Purchased MUsual Size MLength Purchased StandardRated 5 out of 5 stars4 months agoA winner
This dress is soft and light, and the muted pattern is perfect to accessorize with or wear unadorned. This is one Zuri dress I would never let go of!FitRated 0.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- JKJennifer K.Verified BuyerI recommend this productHeight 5'9"Age Range 45 - 54Size Purchased LUsual Size LLength Purchased LongRated 5 out of 5 stars6 months agoStunning!
This dress is a work of art! The sitiba dyeing is amazing! The simple, elegant pattern is very versatile. Also, the fabric is lightweight and soft right out of the package. It will be particularly nice to wear in the spring and summer months.FitRated 0.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- CPConnie P.I recommend this productHeight 5'5"Age Range 65+Size Purchased XLUsual Size XLLength Purchased LongRated 5 out of 5 stars11 months agoTradition and Style
I love this one! The sitiba dye method is interesting
and I love to contribute to such a monumental element of African art history! It is flattering “on”, elegant, and accessory-friendly to the hilt. The cotton is soft, with an exceptionally fine drape. The usual 15 or 20 compliments every time I wear it. You done went and done it again, Zuri!FitRated 0.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- KFKathleen F.Verified BuyerI recommend this productHeight 5'9"Age Range 45 - 54Size Purchased XLUsual Size XLLength Purchased StandardRated 3 out of 5 stars1 year agoNice, but not for me!
This was another case where the actual color was too different from the photos, so I returned it. But I really have no complaints. I can imagine other people loving it, just not for me. I love the return policy for this. Makes me willing to take the gamble, because when I get a match, the payoff is outstanding.FitRated 0.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2